Friday, October 15, 2010

Coming to grips ...

My Question:
1. Write a factual account of an event in your teaching practice.
2. How can I use this event to demonstrate my epistemology, my ontology and axiology through critical reflection?

1. My Story: Today, I started the SeStuTHESA meeting with a showing of Jack talking at BERA. There were 6 people in the room. It was my intention to use the video inductively to access understandings of epistemology, and ontology, which are key to what Jack is going to be talking about when he visits in two weeks time. The video of Jack talking started, and I very quickly observed that the quality of the picture and the sound were very poor. It very quickly became clear to me that nobody in the room was able to follow what was being said, so I switched the video off and proceeded with the discussion about epistemologies and ontologies without the video.

2. My critical reflection: I value easy access to learning for my learners, so when the visuals and sounds of the video were blurred, I realised that the learning of my learners was being compromised. I realised that I had to change my approach, and then changed the exercise to a blend of induction and deduction. I asked the learners to give an account of their understanding of the concepts of epistemology and ontology. I then asked people to apply their understanding of these notions to their practice. In so doing, I was retaining as best I could my value for easy access to learning for my learners, and I also used the belief that the best learning is derived from practical experience. Ialso engaged with the learners in the following interaction. I found that the effects of this process changed the ways i intended to behave in this interaction which meant that ontologically I moved into a closer engagement with the learners, I learned from my learners so that I developed a closer insight into their epistemologies and ontologies, while remaing true to my values, or my axiology.

No comments:

Post a Comment